Is the seller on eBay responsible for lost package?
Under eBay’s Money Back Guarantee rules, sellers must take responsibility for missing items unless tracking information proves that the item was delivered correctly. If a seller does not refund a buyer when required, eBay will forcibly take the funds to resolve the situation.
What to Do When You’ve Lost an eBay Package
Sometimes lost packages are inevitable, which means it’s critical to know who’s responsible when a package goes missing when you send or receive something on eBay. Read on for details about who’s responsible for a lost package when you buy or sell on eBay.
Lost Package Seller Responsibility
When you list an item on eBay, you’re responsible for getting it from your door to the buyer’s door.
- It’s best to use a reputable carrier and purchase delivery confirmation or insurance.
- If a package is lost, you may be obligated to provide a free replacement or refund the buyer.
- It’s best to check your carrier’s policy to see how long you have to wait before you can file a lost package claim.
Lost Package Buyer Responsibility
When you purchase something on eBay, the seller has fulfilled their obligation to ship the item to your address.
- Be sure to track your package to make sure it’s being delivered as expected.
- If delivery is delayed, contact the seller.
- It’s best to double-check your address to make sure it was entered correctly when you purchased the item.
Who Is Responsible for a Lost Package from USPS?
When you use the United States Postal Service (USPS) for delivery, the responsibility for lost packages lies with USPS.
- USPS will investigate lost packages, and generally cover the cost of the missing item.
- Be sure you have proof of value and delivery confirmation before you file a lost package claim with USPS.
No one wants to lose or misplace a package, but there are steps you can take to minimize your risks. When shopping or selling on eBay, it’s important to be aware of who’s responsible for lost packages. By understanding the policies of all involved parties, you can be sure that your package gets to its destination safely and in a timely manner.