Why do people put aluminum foil on windows?
Aluminum foil on windows is most effective at keeping out heat and light when you place it shiny side out and cover its backside with a layer of something else, like insulation or cardboard.
Does Putting Aluminum Foil On Windows Help?
Do you have aluminum foil stuck to your windows? This popular DIY hack has been floating around the internet for quite some time, with some people claiming it can improve your home’s insulation. But does it actually work?
How Aluminum Foil Works
Aluminum foil is made out of, as the name implies, aluminum. This metal has low thermal conductivity, meaning it does not absorb or transfer heat well. When you apply it to your windows, it acts as a barrier to prevent the flow of air and to reflect heat. This helps to make your window more energy efficient.
Pros & Cons of Aluminum Foil on Windows
There are some pros and cons to using aluminum foil on your windows. The pros are:
- It’s Affordable – Aluminum foil is an inexpensive way to make your windows more energy efficient.
- It’s Easy to Install – All you need to do is stick the aluminum foil to your window and cutting it to fit.
- It’s Durable – Aluminum foil is an incredibly durable material, and can withstand all weather conditions.
But there are also some drawbacks to consider:
- It’s Not Very Stylish – Aluminum foil is not the most aesthetically pleasing option, so it may not be the best choice for people with a sense of style.
- It Can Be Difficult to Remove – The adhesive used to stick the foil to the window can make it difficult to remove.
Does It Actually Work?
So, does aluminum foil on windows actually work? The short answer is yes, aluminum foil can help to improve the energy efficiency of your windows. However, it is not a perfect solution, and there are better options out there.
If you are looking for a more sustainable way to save energy, you should consider installing window insulation film or double-paned windows. These options will not only be more effective at improving energy efficiency, but they will also add value to your home.
And if you’re looking for a more stylish option, then you could consider investing in window treatments such as curtains or blinds.
In conclusion, aluminum foil on windows can help to make them more energy efficient, but there are more effective and stylish options out there.